Are you a fan of “Lord of The Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies? Take a seat. Brace yourself….
UPDATE – Pre-orders have now been taken down for this set. Was it listed prematurely? has the largely negative feedback caused a re-think on the price and/or content? While it’s nice to get all the previously released content collected together, it would have been nice to get some new materials – it’s known that many more hours of behind the footage exists than was ever used so far. We’ll keep this post updated as more info becomes available.
Ever since The Hobbit movies were first announced, hints and rumours suggested that one day we’d see an all-inclusive box set bringing all six of Peter Jackson’s Tolkien adaptations together.
That day – in the US at least – would appear to be October 4th, with this wallet-busting, shelf-bending 30-Disc Ultimate Collectors Edition, which is available to pre-order right now from Amazon.com.
There are no pictures yet, but plenty of details below, with our highlights in bold. We’re trying to find out if there will be a UK release, and we’ll update as soon as we know.
Thanks to reader Mark Wilson for the heads-up!
Pre-order: Amazon US
Middle-earth Limited Collector’s Edition
- For the first time ever, Academy Award®-winning director Peter Jackson’s epic adventure is available in one spectacular limited collector’s edition box set.
- The Limited Collector’s Edition includes 30 discs featuring all six Middle-earth films in their extended edition forms, housed in six stunning faux leather books and a collectible Hobbit-style wood shelf. The one-of-a-kind wood shelf is crafted from solid wood with design selected by Peter Jackson.
- In addition to the extended edition release of every film, the collection also includes all previously released bonus content from both the theatrical and extended editions.
- Exclusive premiums designed for the collection include:
- Spectacular 100-page sketch-style book with replica The Red Book of Westmarch, filled with original film sketches and new artwork
- Original reproductions of exquisite watercolor paintings by acclaimed conceptual artists Alan Lee and John Howe, framable and wall-ready
- THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY – Follow Bilbo Baggins, who – along with the Wizard Gandalf and 13 Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield – is swept into an epic and treacherous quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.
- THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG – Our heroes escape the giant Spiders and Wood-elves of Mirkwood before encountering the mysterious Bard, who smuggles them into Lake-town. Finally reaching the Lonely Mountain, they confront the Dragon Smaug.
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – The Dwarves of Erebor have reclaimed their homeland, but face the consequences of unleashing Smaug. As five great armies go to war, Bilbo fights for his life, and the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must unite or be destroyed.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING – With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo Baggins embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS – In the middle chapter of this historic movie trilogy, the Fellowship is broken but its quest to destroy the One Ring continues.
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING – The final battle for Middle-earth begins. Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring.