Counter-culture classic “Easy Rider” is getting a UK Criterion Collection release in May
The Criterion Collection, benchmark setters for special edition and film restoration, are expanding their range with some more releases in May, including the classic Easy Rider, which is coming on the 9th of the month.
This is the definitive counterculture blockbuster. The down-and-dirty directorial debut of former clean-cut teen star DENNIS HOPPER (Blue Velvet), Easy Rider heralded the arrival of a new voice in film, one pitched angrily against the mainstream. After the film’s cross-country journey with its radical, New Wave–style editing, outsider-rock soundtrack, revelatory performance by a young JACK NICHOLSON (Five Easy Pieces), and explosive ending the American road trip would never be the same.
- Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography László Kovács, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Alternate 2.0 and 5.1 surround soundtracks, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
- Two audio commentaries, one from 2009, featuring actor-director-writer Dennis Hopper, and the other from 1995, featuring Hopper, actor-writer Peter Fonda, and production manager Paul Lewis
- Born to Be Wild (1995) and “Easy Rider”: Shaking the Cage (1999), documentaries about the making and history of the film
- Television excerpts showing Hopper and Fonda at the Cannes Film Festival in 1969
- Interview from 2010 with BBS Productions co-founder Steve Blauner
- Theatrical trailers
- An essay by film critic Matt Zoller Seitz