Michelangelo Antonioni’s “L’Avventura” is getting a Criterion Collection UK release in May
May 30th sees the release of the L’Avventura, the latest addition to the Criterion Collection’s UK catalog, and pre-orders are live right now.
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI (La notte) invented a new film grammar with this masterwork. An iconic piece of challenging 1960s cinema and a gripping narrative in its own right, L’avventura concerns the enigmatic disappearance of a young woman during a yachting trip off the coast of Sicily, and the search taken up by her disaffected lover (Once Upon a Time in the West’s GABRIELE FERZETTI) and best friend (L’eclisse’s MONICA VITTI, in her breakout role). Antonioni’s controversial international sensation is a gorgeously shot tale of modern ennui and spiritual isolation.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Audio commentary featuring film historian Gene Youngblood
- Selected-scene commentary by filmmaker Olivier Assayas
- Antonioni: Documents and Testimonials, a fifty-eight minute 1966 documentary by Gianfranco Mingozzi
- Writings by director Michelangelo Antonioni, read by actor Jack Nicholson, plus Nicholson’s personal recollections of the director
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, along with the statement Antonioni made about the film and the letter that circulated in support of it after its 1960 Cannes premiere