Horror classic “Candyman” is getting a great looking Zavvi exclusive Steelbook release in March
Bernard Rose’s stunning Clive Barker adaptation Candyman is getting a new Zavvi exclusive steelbook release, featuring new artwork by Matt Griffin.
This single disc release doesn’t include the slightly longer UK cut and additional Clive Barker interview found on Arrow’s original 2-disc Collectors Edition, but you still get a stunning new restoration and a load of great extra features, and all for a VERY reasonable £16.99
Pre-orders are due to go live on Saturday February 15th, so ignore any ‘sold out’ notices before then.
They’ll be live around 12 noon UK time for Red Carpet subscribers (though possibly earlier, so keep an eye on our Twitter feed, just in case…), and around 6pm for everyone else. Our Red Carpet links don’t work properly for some reason, so you may need to log in first, then click the link again. Once the Red Carpet period is up, the link will work fine.
Dare you say his name five times? From the chilling imagination of horror master Clive Barker
(Hellraiser, Nightbreed), comes Candyman – one of the greatest horror movies of the ’90s, now
restored on Blu-ray from Arrow Video.
When grad student Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) begins working on a thesis about urban legends,
she comes across the terrifying tale of the Candyman – a vengeful, hook handed spirit who can be
summoned by saying his name five times in the mirror. As her research leads her into the bowels of
Chicago’s deprived housing projects and deeper into the Candyman’s world, Helen learns that some
legends are best left alone.
Expertly directed by British filmmaker Bernard Rose (Paperhouse) and boasting an astounding score
by composer Philip Glass, Candyman ingeniously reworks Clive Barker’s original short story “The
Forbidden” (originally published as part of his groundbreaking Books of Blood series) into a modern
horror parable that remains as timely today as ever.
- Limited Edition Steelbook featuring new artwork by Matthew Griffin
- Restoration of the US R-rated version from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by writer-director Bernard Rose and director of photography Anthony B. Richmond
- 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 Audio
- Audio commentary with writer-director Bernard Rose and actor Tony Todd
- Audio commentary with authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Be My Victim – interview with actor Tony Todd
- It Was Always You, Helen – interview with actor Virginia Madsen
- The Writing on the Wall: The Production Design of Candyman – interview with production designer Jane Ann Stewart
- Forbidden Flesh: The Makeup FX of Candyman – interviews with special makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Gary J. Tunnicliffe and Mark Coulier
- A Story to Tell: Clive Barker’s “The Forbidden” – writer Douglas E. Winter on Clive Barker’s seminal Books of Blood and Candyman’s source story “The Forbidden”
- Urban Legend: Unwrapping Candyman – a critical analysis of the film with writers Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Image Gallery
- Three rarely seen Bernard Rose short films, restored in HD: A Bomb With No Name on It (1975), The Wreckers (1976), and Looking at Alice (1977)