Mega-budget sci-fi folly “Waterworld” is getting a suitably epic Special Edition release from Arrow in December
The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld struggled to stay afloat at the box office, but over the years has become something of a cult favourite.
It’s been long overdue for a Special Edition re-appraisal, and it seems Arrow Video agree, as they’re bringing us a feature-packed 2-disc on December 10th.
As well as 3 cuts of the film we’ll be getting a healthy selection of new and archive on-disc and in-box extras, as well as – YES – brand new cover art by the awesome Paul Shipper.
Pre-orders are live now.
The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects.
A definitive post-apocalypse blockbuster, Waterworld stars Kevin Costner (The Untouchables) as The Mariner – a mutant trader, adrift in a dystopian future where Earth is submerged under water and humankind struggles to survive on boats and in ramshackle floating cities. The Mariner becomes embroiled with the Smokers, a gang of pirates who, led by villainous leader Deacon (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet), are seeking Enola (Tina Majorino, Napoleon Dynamite), a girl with a map to the mythical realm of “Dryland” tattooed on her back.
Famous for both its epic scale and the controversy that swirled around its production, Waterworld is a key cult film of the 1990s, and an essential entry into the subgenre of ecologically-minded blockbusters. Presented here in an exclusive new restoration, in three different cuts, and with a wealth of extra material, this high-water mark of high-concept Hollywood can now be enjoyed as never before.
TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
- New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, presenting the film in three cuts
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Six collector’s postcards
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, archival articles and original reviews
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut
- Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage
- Original archival featurette capturing the film’s production
- Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically aware Hollywood blockbusters
- Production and promotional stills gallery
- Visual effects stills gallery
- Original trailers and TV spots
DISC TWO – THE EXTENDED CUTS [LIMTED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which includes censored shots and dialogue