A Zombie Flesh Eaters Blu-ray review heaps praise on the remastered presentation
We’ve already covered news of the upcoming limited edition steelbook release of Lucio Fulci’s classic Zombie Flesh Eaters, and now Cinemart have published their review of the disc, including a look at the non-steelbook art.
While the reviewer has some understandable misgivings over the plotting and pacing of the movie, there is nothing but praise over the presentation of the film, which is brand new remastering taken from the original camera negative.
“Stunning might be an overused word but this HD restoration from an original negative source is just that. No other term could quite capture the picture quality… The craftsmanship on display serves the point that restorations shouldn’t be the preserve of arthouse and studio classics but also iconic B pictures…
“The sound is also stunning with Fabio Frizzi and Giorgio Tucci’s score crystal-clear and spine-tingling…
“The bonus material will keep hardcore horror and Fulci fans happy for a good few hours… The documentary is well put together and fascinating stuff.”
If you had any doubts over picking up this release, I reckon the review should change your mind, so check it out in full.
The movie is released on December 3rd and can be pre-ordered now (at the time of writing it’s an absolute bargain at £14), and includes the full uncut version of the movie, along with the following special features:
- Brand new high definition restoration of the original negative.
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR: Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy – ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM: Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST) and Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) share memories of the genesis of corpse-crunching cinema – from Romero’s early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
- THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO ROSSI: The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats – and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks – including ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
- MUSIC FOR A FLESH-FEAST: Composer Fabio Frizzo – Live Q&A from the Glasgow Film Theatre
- ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS – FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN: Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
- Trailer and radio spots
- Collectors booklet featuring contributions from Calum Waddell, Stephen Thrower, Craig Lapper and Jay Slater.
- Limited Edition with exclusive artwork
Here’s a promo trailer from Arrow, and the cover art.