John Carpenter’s classic sci-fi “Escape From New York” is getting a newly restored 3-Disc 4K Zavvi exclusive Steelbook release in November
Studio Canal and Zavvi are teaming up to bring us a set of newly restored 4K John Carpenter steelbooks.
One of the movies we’ll be getting will be this new release of Escape From New York, featuring stunning artwork by acclaimed fan favourite Matt Ferguson.
The contents are slightly different to the Collector’s Edition. While we won’t be getting the soundtrack CD or in-box extras, we’ll still be getting the movie on 4K and Blu-ray discs, and a jam-packed disc of extras. The artwork – again by Matt Ferguson – will be different, though no less impressive.
Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time Saturday September 15th, so ignore the ‘sold out’ button until then.
The year is 1997 and in a police state future the island of Manhattan has been turned into a maximum security prison. The rules are simple: once you’re in, you don’t come out. But when the President of the United States (Donald Pleasence) crash lands an escape pod into the centre of the city after fleeing a hijacked plane, a ruthless prison warden (Lee Van Cleef) bribes ex-soldier and criminal Snake Plisskin into entering the hazardous Manhattan and rescuing the distraught president from the twisted world of New York and from the demented clutches of its new ruler The Duke (Isaac Hayes) in John Carpenter’s cyber-punk, action, suspense spectacular.
- Purgatory: Entering John Carpenter’s ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK: A brand new feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Writer Nick Castle, cinematographer Dean Cundey, composer Alan Howarth, production designer Joe Alves, special visual effects artist/model maker Gene Rizzardi, production assistant David De Coteau, photographer Kim Gottleib-Walker, Carpenter biographer John Muir, visual effects historian Justin Humphreys, and music historian Daniel Schweiger.
- Snake Plissen: Man of Honor – featurette from 2005 featuring interviews with John Carpenter and Debra Hill
- Intro by John Carpenter – an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
- Deleted Opening Sequence “Snake’s Crime” with Optional Audio Commentary
- Photo gallery incl. Behind the Scenes
- Original Trailers
- Audio Commentary with actor Kurt Russell & director John Carpenter
- Audio Commentary with Producer Debra Hill and production designer Joe Alves
- Big Challenges in Little Manhattan: Visual effects featurette – from 2015, features interviews with both Dennis Skotak, Director of Photography of Special VFX, and Robert Skotak, Unit Supervisor and Matte Artist
- I am Taylor – Interview with actor Joe Unger – from 2015
- Audio Commentary with actress Adrienne Barbeau & DOP Dean Cundey