Park Chan-Wook’s classic drama “Oldboy” is getting a Zavvi exclusive 4K Steelbook release in January
The brilliant Oldboy is coming to 4K from Arrow, and Zavvi have the steelbook exclusive.
Please note – this edition includes the film on 4K disc only, with a Blu-ray extra features disc. The film is NOT included on Blu-ray.
Pre-orders are live right now.
Often cited as one of the best films of the 2000s and possibly the definitive example of extreme Asian cinema, Oldboy is a brutal, lyrical modern classic of the revenge genre.
Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge whilst also striking up a romance with a young, attractive sushi chef, Mi-do (Kang Hye-jung). He eventually finds his tormentor, but their final encounter will yield yet more unimaginable horrors…
Directed with immense flair by Park Chan-wook (JSA, The Handmaiden) as the second instalment of his Vengeance Trilogy, Oldboy blazed a trail at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival where it was lauded by the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino. The film went on to become a huge international smash, blowing audiences minds with its concoction of filmmaking virtuosity, ingenious plotting, violence and pathos. Now, this masterpiece has been restored in 4K and is presented here with the feature-length documentary Old Days, and a massive array of extras.
4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY CONTENTS
- Two-disc edition featuring a new restoration of Oldboy on 4K UHD Blu-ray, and the acclaimed making-of documentary Old Days on Blu-ray
- Limited Edition Steelbook® packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
- Fully illustrated booklet featuring new writing by Simon Abrams and archival articles
DISC ONE OLDBOY (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by director Park Chan-wook
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo
- Original Korean and English soundtracks
- Music and effects track
- Newly translated, optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Korean soundtrack
- Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
- Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
- Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
- New audio commentary with critic Jasper Sharp and writer Simon Ward
- Out of the Past, new video appreciation by Asian film expert Tony Rayns
- Deleted scenes with optional director commentary
- Behind the scenes featurettes
- Extensive cast and crew interviews
- Trailers and teasers
- Image gallery
DISC TWO – OLD DAYS (BLU-RAY)
- Old Days: An Oldboy Story, the acclaimed feature-length 2016 documentary about Park Chan-wook s masterpiece
- Autobiography of Oldboy, a three-and-a-half-hour video diary of the making of Oldboy