Horror classic “Carrie” is getting a new Zavvi exclusive Steelbook release in December
On December 9th, Zavvi and Arrow Video are bringing us this new steelbook release of Brian De Palma’s adaptation of Stephen King’s Carrie.
Pre-orders are due to go live at Zavvi on Friday November 29th.
They’ll be live around 7am UK time for Red Carpet subscribers (though possibly earlier, so keep an eye on our Twitter feed, just in case…), and around 9am for everyone else. Our Red Carpet links don’t work properly for some reason, so you may need to log in first, then click the link again. One the Red Carper period is up, the link will work fine.
In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.
Carrie marked Brian De Palma’s arrival as a major director, following smaller cult films such as Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise and Obsession, and provided a key early role for Sissy Spacek (Badlands), one that would earn her a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards. Piper Laurie would also pick up a nomination, for Best Supporting Actress, as Carrie’s mother, while future stars such as Amy Irving, John Travolta and Nancy Allen were give their first major parts in a big-screen production.
Restored in 4K from the original negative, this collector’s edition provides the definitive release of a horror classic.
Special Edition Contents:
- Limited Edition SteelBook featuring new commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- 4K restoration from the original negative
- High Definition (1080p) presentation
- DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks
- Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
- Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
- More Acting Carrie, additional interviews with the cast of the film
- Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
- Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King’s novel
Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
- Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
- Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
- Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
- Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
- Still Gallery
- TV spots
- Radio spots
- Carrie trailer reel