John Carpenter’s “Prince of Darkness” is getting a 4-disc 4K & Blu-ray Collectors Edition release
As with those sets, this will include the movie on 4K and Blu-ray discs, a bonus materials Blu-ray and a soundtrack CD, alongside art cards, poster and booklet, all wrapped up in awesome Matt Ferguson artwork.
Pre-orders are live right now.
This 4 disc limited Collector’s Edition of John Carpenter’s 1987 cult classic Prince of Darkness has been stunningly restored in 4K.
Deep in the basement of an abandoned church, once run by a sinister religious sect, lies a strange bottle of green liquid being investigated by a group of local theoretic physics students. But as the night draws in the students soon realise that the relic holds a dark and powerful force beyond their control. A force that could well be the essence of pure evil: the remains of Satan himself.
This release is beautifully packaged with a stylish, newly commissioned illustration by Matt Ferguson on the cover. It contains a UHD of the feature as well as a Blu-ray feature disc, bonus disc and the original soundtrack on CD. It also contains 5 art cards, a newly illustrated theatrical poster and booklet containing original articles, photography from the set, production notes and an essay from celebrated film journalist Kim Newman.
The 2018 restoration of Prince of Darkness was made from the original camera negative. A full 4k 16bit Dolby Vision workflow was applied to create a 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today’s biggest international film releases.
The restoration and new UHD version was colour graded and approved in Los Angeles by the Cinematographer, Gary B. Kibbe (ASC).
Bonus material includes:
- Malevolent: Unearthing John Carpenter’s PRINCE OF DARKNESS: A brand new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures and featuring interviews with Cinematographer Gary Kibbe, actor Peter Jason, actor Alice Cooper, composer Alan Howarth, script supervisor Sandy King, visual effects supervisor Robert Grasmere, stunt coordinator Jeff Imada, Carpenter biographer John Muir, film historian C. Courtney Joyner, music historian Daniel Schweiger and Producer Larry Carpenters.
- Intro by John Carpenter – an interview with director John Carpenter originally recorded for a French DVD release in 2003
- Scene Analysis by John Carpenter – Director John Carpenter analyses key scenes from Prince of Darkness, in an interview from 2003
- Audio commentary with John Carpenter and Peter Jason
- Sympathy for the Devil: Interview with John Carpenter – from 2013
- Horror’s Halloween Hallowed Grounds with Sean Clark – a fun tour of the film’s locations hosted by Sean Clark
- Photo gallery incl. Behind the Scene
- Disc 1: UHD Feature
- Disc 2: Blu-ray Feature
- Disc 3: Blu-ray Bonus disc
- Disc 4: Original soundtrack
- 5 x Art cards
- Theatrical poster