Korean classic “Oldboy” is getting a new 3-disc special edition release from Arrow in August
Arrow are once again dusting the cobwebs off another genre classic, and bringing us this newly restored, 3 disc edition of Oldboy.
As usual it’s packed with extra features, which you can check out below.
Pre-orders are live now, and we’ll add more links as we get them.
Limited Edition Three-Disc Set:
Oldboy + Old Days + Three Hours Of Interviews
Often Cited As One Of The Best Films Of The 2000S And Possibly The Definitive Example Of Extreme Asian Cinema, Oldboy Is A Brutal, Lyrical Modern Classic Of The Revenge Genre.
Based On The Japanese Manga Of The Same Name, The Film Tells The Horrific Tale Of Oh Dae-Su (Choi Min-Sik), A Businessman Who Is Inexplicably Kidnapped And Imprisoned In A Grim Hotel Room-Like Cell For 15 Years, Without Knowing His Captor Or The Reason For His Incarceration. Eventually Released, He Learns Of His Wife’S Murder And Embarks On A Quest For Revenge Whilst Also Striking Up A Romance With A Young, Attractive Sushi Chef, Mi-Do (Kang Hye-Jung). He Eventually Finds His Tormentor, But Their Final Encounter Will Yield Yet More Unimaginable Horrors…
Directed With Immense Flair By Park Chan-Wook (The Handmaiden) As The Second Instalment Of His Vengeance Trilogy, Oldboy Blazed A Trail At The 2004 Cannes Film Festival Where It Was Lauded By The President Of The Jury, Director Quentin Tarantino. The Film Went On To Become A Huge International Smash, Blowing Audiences Minds With Its Concoction Of Filmmaking Virtuosity, Ingenious Plotting, Violence And Pathos. Now, This Masterpiece Has Been Newly Mastered In 4K And Is Presented Here In A Three-Disc Set With A Massive Array Of Extras Including The Feature-Length Documentary Old Days, And Three Hours Of Bonus Interviews.
Three-Disc Limited Edition Contents:
- Brand New 4K Restoration From The Original Camera Negative Supervised By Director Park Chan-Wook
- High Definition Blu-Ray (1080P) Presentation
- Original 5.1 Dts-Hd Master Audio And 2.0 Stereo
- Original Korean And English Soundtracks
- Music And Effects Track
- Newly Translated, Optional English Subtitles For The Deaf And Hard Of Hearing For The English Soundtrack
- Newly Translated English Subtitles For The Korean Soundtrack
- Audio Commentary With Director Park Chan-Wook
- Audio Commentary With Park Chan-Wook And Cinematographer Jung Jung-Hoon
- Audio Commentary With Park Chan-Wook, And Actors Choi Min-Sik, Yu Ji-Tae, Kang Hye-Jung
- Audio Commentary By Film Critic Shin Hyung-Chul
- Audio Commentary By Film Critic Kim Young-Jin
- Old Days: An Oldboy Story, Acclaimed Feature-Length 2016 Documentary About Park Chan-Wook’S Masterpiece
- Old Days Interviews: Looking Back On The Days Of Oldboy, Over Three Hours Of Extensive Recently Film Interviews With The Film’S Cast And Crew
- New Introduction To The Film By Director Park Chan-Wook
- Film Critics On Oldboy, Featurette With Oh Dong-Jin, Lee Dong-Jin, Darcy Paquet And Chris Fujiwara
- Filmmakers On Oldboy, Featurette With Directors Kim Jee-Woon And Ryoo Seung-Wan
- Photographer Of Time, An Interview With Stills Photographer Han Se-Jun
- Autobiography Of Oldboy, A Three-And-A-Half-Hour Video Diary Of The Making Of Oldboy
- Deleted Scenes With Optional Director Commentary
- Behind The Scenes Featurettes
- Extensive Cast And Crew Interviews
- The Making Of Oldboy, Lengthy Two-Part Featurette On The Film’S Production
- Le Grand Prix At Cannes, Featurette About The Film’S Success At The 2004 Film Festival
- “Bring My Love” Music Video By Starsailor, Using Clips Of The Film
- Trailers, Teasers And Tv Spots
- Image Gallery
- Double-Sided Fold-Out Poster
- Limited Edition 100-Page Hardbound Book Featuring New Writing By Simon Abrams, Kat Ellinger, And Original Reviews
- Limited Edition Packaging Featuring Newly Commissioned Artwork By Matt Ryan Tobin